Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Answer Revealed!

So the reason for my previous post/poll is because of a disturbing trend I've been noticing here in OK.  Since moving here I've had two people tell me that I don't look old enough to have a six year old.  So that would make me, what, about 24 at the oldest?  I had to bite my tongue to keep from reply something along the lines of how hard a decision it was to keep my baby when I was only 16, but it was totally worth it in the end.

But the one that got me was the lady who asked if I was my kids' babysitter.  Really?  I look like a teenager? I don't think so.  I may look young, but not THAT young.

It really bugs me that people assume that I'm young because they then treat me that way.  Someone five years younger than me will talk to me like I'm new to life and the great big world, and someone my age will say something like "When you get to be my age..."  I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does.  Can't people just treat me like a person?  I know ten or more years from now I'll be glad that I look younger than I really am, but for now, I'm just going to stew.

And as for the poll, most of you were right.  I'm 32.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry I didn't participate in the poll. It's so hard to be objective when I know exactly how old you are - considering we are days apart. I was going to have Adam vote, but we never got around to it.

I don't mind being told I don't look old enough to have four kids, but then again, they don't treat me like I'm that young. So, I guess that's why it doesn't bother me too much. Plus, it doesn't happen that much here in good ol' UT. It happened a LOT when I was in Singapore, but I chalked it up to the fact that it's hard to guess ages of people from different races.

Harmony said...

I WISH people would tell me I look too young! Maybe I should start telling people I'm 45 so they'll say how great I look (and how I snagged a youngin' for a husband.

Or maybe I just need to stop saying the word youngin'