Friday, March 13, 2009

My Smart Little Girl

So it's probably not terribly good form to talk about how smart and wonderful my children are. But since this is my blog, I figure I can get away with it.

The other day I came home from doing I don't remember what, and I had left the kids home with Anton. Ella came running up to me with a paper and yelling, "Mommy, look! I got a Great Job!!"

She showed me the paper, which was a bunch of math problems.

Anton had gotten enthusiastic and printed her out a page of math problems to do. But you know what? She's really good at them. She can add any number from zero to ten to any other number from zero to ten all by herself.

I wanted to see this for myself, so the next day I printed out another page for her to do.

And sure enough, she did them all by herself. And you want to know how she does it? She uses sign language. Since you can count to ten on one hand in sign language, she will count out the first number on one hand, then continue counting while signing up to the second number on her other hand. That probably doesn't make sense, but it's amazing to me that she can keep track of the number she is adding and the number she is counting at the same time. Crazy stuff. Should a four year old be able to do math already? Having never had a four year old before, I'm not sure, but it seems to me like this is a bit early to be doing math.

I also tried doing some subtraction, but she has stated definitively that she doesn't like taking things away. Oh, well. We'll just stick with addition for now. Crazy, smart girl.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Impressive! I should teach my kids sign language.

Ariella said...

You could tell from day one that Ella was going to be a genius.

Andrea said...

Well, I can tell you that my three and a half year old doesn't even write his own name. So, yes, Ella is pretty dang smart!! That is so cool!! She has her momma's brain!!!

Al said...

Hey, brag all you want because that is impressive. Go Ella! I have been out of the blog world for a while so this will be an all encompassing comment. Loved the pant hooks decor, the pillows, impressed by your shopping at Albertson's. I always knew you were clever....

Julene said...

I love the Abbey on the paper. Do we have a stalker? :) Such a smartie pants. Watch out mom, the smart ones are really smart.

The Wades said...

Brag away. That's awesome!!! What are you feeding that child?