Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Hamfatter Award

The other day my sister and I were talking about blog awards. Where do they come from? Who makes them up? The other day my sister got a Lemonade Stand Award. What the heck is that all about? A lemonade stand? Really? Come on, people, where are you getting this stuff from? So we decided that we would make up our own award.

Sometime before the aforementioned discussion, we were also having a chat about the origin of calling someone a ham, as in, "You are such a ham!" So I looked it up and found out that the word originated in the early 1880s from a song called The Hamfat Man. It was a black minstrel song about an awkward man. After that, people would use the term hamfatter when someone was trying too hard to be funny and not succeeding. That was ultimately shortened to the word ham.

So in honor of Alex's pure silliness yesterday, I hereby give myself ... The Hamfatter Award!

I now pass this award on to all my blog readers. Award it generously and spread it around the world!! We want everyone to be the honored recipient of the prestigious Hamfatter Award. The world will be at peace when they have all received such recognition. Go forth, and be a ham!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh I love this!! Hee hee!! I am going to snag it and pass it around to my blogger friends!!

Sarah said...

That's the coolest thing I've seen all year.
Congrats.

Amy said...

Thanks for the explanation and short history lesson. When I saw the title of your post I was quite confused, but now I got it!

HandMade Goods said...

i love the goat photo!

so totally unrelated - i finally joined facebook after my french exchange student contacted my little brother there to try to find me. i also found an old photo from space camp that i had written names on the back of, so i decided that, in addition to reconnecting with my old hs friends, i would see if any of our space camp friends were there - and so far ive found two of them!

allhorsestuff said...

)))Hahaha((( I just got this hilarious Goat for an award at ALLHORSESTUFF blogspot...it may be the funniest thing on my blog!
Thanks for the laughs and fun!
KK